05 May 2010

Grandma

"God saw she was getting tired
And a cure was not to be,
So He put His arms around her
And whispered, 'Come with Me.'

With tearful eyes we watched her suffer
And saw her fade away,
Although we loved her dearly
We could not make her stay.

A golden heart stopped beating
Hard working hands to rest,
God broke our hearts to prove to us
He only takes the best."


Grandma passed away a couple of weeks ago. In a way, it's like losing and missing her for a second time, all over again. She went into the nursing home several years ago, and that was such a drastic and difficult change for everyone, most especially her. My favorite parts of visiting her in the nursing home were when she was well enough to play dominoes (and she would occasionally cheat when we weren't looking, stinker!) and when we'd visit her with all of my aunts. We would laugh so much.... The poem above from her prayer service does not lie when it speaks of broken hearts....

There are so many things that I miss about Grandma and being at her house....

The way it felt like slipping back in time just going to her house, though I didn't appreciate it much at the time.

Watching her work in the garden with her bonnet on. And wearing the bonnets she made for my sister and me.

Seeing her in her "house dresses" every day, whether she was working inside or outside.

Sitting in the living room and waiting for our snack...she would split a cold Coke between my sister and me and pour half in each of our special glasses, no ice. And then we'd each get this little bowl of cold M&Ms, straight from the fridge, half the package each.

Sitting at the kitchen table and playing Rook or Mill - with old buttons kept in an old prescription bottle. She almost always won!

Eating her tea cakes and watching my sister dip hers into Grandpa's coffee.

Eating cold fried chicken off the kitchen counter in the middle of the afternoon...leftovers from dinner. And when I say dinner, I mean lunch. (And when I say supper, I mean dinner.)

Watching in horror as she caught a chicken, chopped its head off, plucked it, and cooked it. And watching my sister cry when the chicken ran around with no head.

Listening to her tell Grandpa to wait on us, when we wanted to ride along with him for the day.

Unpacking her entire china cabinet and playing restaurant or setting the dining room table and then putting it all back. She acted like she didn't know, since we did it during their naptime, but I'm pretty sure we were loud enough that everyone within ten miles knew. And we only thought we were putting everything back EXACTLY like she had it.

Watching I Love Lucy in the living room on channel 26 and listening to her work in the kitchen.

Laying around in our pajamas and watching Scooby Doo and The Price is Right when Mama would first drop us off in the morning during the summer.

Getting downright filthy outside and having her quickly clean us up before Mama got there to pick us up on her way home.

Drinking her sweet tea.

Finding Little Debbies hidden in the back corner of the cabinet.

Playing "house" in the big closet on the back porch.

Going to pick pecans along the creek.

Loading up in the gray truck and riding to Brenham to shop at H-E-B and Perry Brothers. Boy, what an event. And we always got a treat at Perry Brothers. I think my favorite was the set of Betty Boop fake fingernails.

All four of us loading up in the old white truck and driving around to check and count cows. Grandma was in charge; she knew everything about all of them.

Going there for family celebrations, where we all crammed around the dining room and kitchen tables and ate Grandma's rolls and sweet tea and fried chicken. And then everyone would hang out in the backyard or on the back screened porch.

Playing dress up in the back bedroom.

Cutting up all of Grandma's magazines and catalogues for paper dolls.

Listening to her watch The Lawrence Welk Show and Hee Haw.

Putting on her clip-on earrings and necklaces and wearing them around the house.

Helping her clean and put away the vegetables from the garden...green beans, corn, squash, potatoes....

Looking through the old green photo album with her. It said PHOTOGRAPHS in gold on the cover, and the pages were black and crumbly.

Listening to her say, "Oh, Daddy...." with complete exasperation in her voice when talking to Grandpa. Yet she was smiling a little, too.

Watching her hang clothes out on the clothesline.

Sitting out on the front porch when we got all sweaty from being outside, instead of turning the window unit A/C up higher.


She was so quiet and calm and easy. I wish I could be a little more like her. When she thought something was funny, she smiled only just a little. With her lips closed. I hope she knows how much I miss her and being at her house with her.

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant post. I can imagine it all and relate with a lot. You grew up lucky. So sorry for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey~
    You have so many sweet memories of times with your grandmother! You will always cherish those! Thank you for sharing them with us! And now you get to carry on her legacy in that amazing little farmhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that special part of your life with us. I can see you and Les doing those things.

    It made me reminisce about the time I was fortunate enough to share with my Grandma "Po-Po." I miss her so much and only wish Derek and Lainey could have known them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. Your rememberances remind me of my brother and I at our grandparent's house. I am so glad to have those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it...

    ReplyDelete