25 January 2011

This Smacks All Too Familiar

"Yo, Maureen...you ready yet?"

"Just wait, Earl. I'll be down in a minute."

"I don't got all day."

"Wait...I forgot my jacket...."

Ah...how many times have we parked somewhere, and within two seconds, B has turned off the truck and is jumping out.... Meanwhile, I've just unbuckled my seat belt and have started reaching for my purse. I've still gotta primp, make sure everything is in place, get all my stuff together, and climb out. At which point he'll already be inside, piece of cake or drink in hand, and chatting up the people.

"Are you ready yet?"

"Just a minute."

"Woman. Let's go."

"Do you think we should take _____ in with us?"

Fill in the blank with whatever...the water bottle, our jackets, a snack, gum, the flashlight, the baby, the keys, the lint roller, Tums, tissues, my tote bag.... Preparedness, people. Or just being a good boyscout, as my mother-in-law would say.

And in case you were wondering about the weird possums, Earl & Maureen, they live in Piedmont. One morning, as I sat at the table eating my Ramen for breakfast (hey...you can do that when you're pregnant), I saw Earl & Maureen emerge from the post oak tree by the arena. I don't think I even knew there were such big holes in the side of that tree, much less POSSUMS. I took the pictures with my cell phone, so they could just as easily be house cats; it's so blurry.

Here's to Earl & Maureen...hope they're still kickin' up their heels in Piedmont...creepy little critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment