11 April 2011

Naming of the Babe

I think it's only natural that, when you fall in love, you start to imagine your future life with that cowboy. When I thought of babies I'd have in the far, distant future, I even conjured up names. It's only natural. I knew that, if we had a girl (we never found out the sex of the baby while pregnant), I wanted her middle name to be Jane, after my mama's middle name. Jane is of Hebrew origin and means God is gracious. I've always liked it...it's cute, it's sweet, it feels like home, and it would tie her to her family.

Katie, however, is not what I had in mind for her first name, nor what Husband and I had discussed. A few weeks before her arrival, he told me that he thought we should name a girl Katie. Talk about coming out of left field...this was never on our radar. For so long, we discussed the names we liked, so it was hard to completely shift gears; it was a little bit like getting to know her all over again.... But he had his reasons, and I've learned that when he's adamant about something, it's always a good idea to go along. I'm never disappointed. It actually worked for my family history, too: my maternal great-grandma's name was Katy. Spelled differently, but still special.

Husband loves the name...ever since he first saw McClintock, our favorite John Wayne movie. Although he saw it a long time before I did and has watched it many, many more times. John Wayne's wife in the movie is named Kathryn and affectionately referred to as Katie, much to her chagrin. I'll have to do a post on this movie some other time...it's quite entertaining.

If you like that sort of thing.

And to top off his love of all things Katie, one of his favorite songs from Jerry Jeff (we're on a first and middle name basis, yah?):

"It's two eggs up on whisky toast
Home fries on the side
Wash 'em down with the road house coffee
That burns up your insides

Just a Canyon, Colorado diner
And a waitress I did love
We sat in the back 'neath an old stuffed bear
And a worn out Navajo rug

Aye-yi-yi Katie
Shades of red and blue
Aye-yi-yi Katie
Whatever became of the Navajo rug and you

Well, old Jack the boss, he left at six
And it's Katie bar the door
She pulled down that Navajo rug
And we spread it 'cross the floor

I saw lightning frame the Sacred Mountains
Saw the wooing of a turtle dove
Just lying next to Katie
On that old Navajo rug

Aye-yi-yi Katie
Shades of red and blue
Aye-yi-yi Katie
Whatever became of the Navajo rug and you

Well, I saw old Jack about a year ago
He said the place burned to the ground
All he'd saved was an old bear tooth
And Katie, she left town

Well Katie got a souvenir, too
Jack smiled as he spit out a big old plug
Well, you should have seen her comin' through the smoke
She was draggin' that Navajo rug

Aye-yi-yi Katie
Shades of red and blue
Aye-yi-yi Katie
Whatever became of the Navajo rug and you

So everytime I cross the Sacred Mountains
And lightning jumps above
It always takes me back in time
To my long lost Katie love

You know, everything keeps on a-movin'
Everybody's on the go
You don't find things that last anymore
Like a hand-woven Navajo"

When we first started dating, he started singing this song to me, but he'd replace the Katie with Stacey. The sound of Jerry Jeff Walker is all happy memories, easy times, and fun days. So now, when la princessa gets perturbed, we sing this song to her...sometimes together...and I think she likes it.

Or MAYbe she's smart enough to know that, if she gets real sweet on us, we'll stop singing and kiss her cheeks and say who's-my-baby-girl and STOP SINGING.

No comments:

Post a Comment