28 June 2011

The Corn Crib

I could get lost in this picture. I've been sitting here and staring at it for a good ten minutes, at least. My sister took it. Everything seems to look so much better through her camera.

This is the corn crib at my grandparents' place, the place we now get to call home. (We get to call their place home, not the corn crib. We don't live in this corn crib. Aren't you glad I cleared that up?) This side of it faces into the backyard.

A corn crib is technically a ventilated building used for storing unhusked corn. My grandparents had a huge garden, and this is where they stored all of their...wait for it...corn!

I love this little building. I love the shape of it, I love the red doors, and I love the little light bulb that hangs above the door and lights it up at night.

From the house, you can look straight down the hallway and out the back and see it framed in the doorway to the screened porch.

It obviously needs some work and a little TLC, as most every building out there does right now. Repainting the red will definitely give it new life. Along with mowing the grass!

There are already a few ideas in the works as to how it will be used in the future, but just to add to a difficult decision, what would you do with this building? It has the two doors in front and two separate rooms inside, but it could be made into one. And there is electricity, though I couldn't tell you how crude it is.

So...any great ideas out there?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/30/2011

    How 'bout storing tools and feed? Bahahaha!!! Okay, okay - I cheated and peeked inside!

    ReplyDelete