13 April 2012

The Help

When this movie first came out, my mama, sister, and I went to watch it at our local theatre. Where local equals just $4 (!), oscillating fans for air conditioning, and a little sticky on the floor. We are huge supporters of our local theatre...for $4, we can't afford not to be!

It was very hard for me to leave my baby at the supper table with her daddy when my ride to the movies showed up in the driveway, but I'm very glad I went. I've been told over and over again that, sometimes, the mama just has to get out and see some new scenery and suck in some fresh air - a change of pace, if you will.

I still almost started crying before I'd even shut the back door all the way.

The movie was so good, except for all of the parts with babies, and in my heart, babies are everyone under 16, just FYI. Ever since I grew a Mama Heart back in October or November of 2009, it is nearly impossible for me to watch, read, or breathe near anything sad or hurtful or dangerous that has to do with babies. I have to block it out; shut down. Otherwise, I will cry and suffocate. I just can't handle it.

I think I am too tender-hearted.

But back to the movie: it was riveting and funny and sad and powerful and every good adjective between awesome and zany in the dictionary. So when my mama got the book to read, I knew I had to borrow it. It took me two days to finish it.

I probably could have read it faster if I hadn't had to brush my teeth, make some supper, or drive to work and back.

The book was fantastic. Definitely worth the paper and the time investment; although it won't take you long. Not at all.

There were several things in the book that never made it to film, and there was, of course, way more detail in the book. I can't decide if I like the pared down version of the movie better, or the full book. Since I got to see the movie, I kind of wish I had the ability to "see" everything that was included in just the book, too. Know what I mean?

It's like, after the directors and producers have "shown" me everything - from the way Skeeter moves to the way Aibilene sweats to the way Celia Foote sloshes "Co-Cola" all over herself when Milly takes on her housekeeping - my mind's eye got just plain lazy. All of those exclusively-in-the-book parts were just fuzzy and a means to the next familiar part. Which is a bit of a shame.

It is also irksome when they change someone's hair color from the book to the movie. Especially if they reference it on a regular basis. Or the stature of a beloved character's build (I'm talkin' about Constantine here...I don't think that's much of a spoiler, is it?)

In any case, you know how book reviews that they print blurbs from on the covers and inside pages always say, "If you read just one book this year, make it this one!" Well, I think this one actually earned those words.

Amen.

And let's all love each other a little more and be a little kinder, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVED the book and the movie! Is probably one of about 10 books that I'll read more than once in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first book to read in a very long time and I couldn't put it down. I LOVED it!! I saw the movie not too long after I finished it and it just wasn't as good as the one I played in my head as I read it. I just wish I had more time to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete