18 March 2014

August 2011

How can we be so far past these twelve-month-old pictures? I explicitly remember driving down the highway a few days before this photo shoot and thinking about what outfit she would wear and whether we should put her saddle and her spurs in the same picture, or just one item at a time. And, of course, we were debating bringing the pony with us, too. Because these are giant decisions of epic proportions.

Plus, I was wondering how I was going to make it through the photo shoot in August – heat stroke and all. Whose idea was it to take the pictures outside, anyway?

And now. Now, we are two and a half years past this, I’ve started planning her FOURTH birthday party, and I’m emailing back and forth with our photographer now to schedule times for Baby Brother’s first year of pictures.

Have mercy and stop the presses.

When I went to get her out of her bed this morning – okay, crib! – she was stretching and showing me that she was nearly as long as her bed, from head to toes, especially when she pointed her toes. I said, “Man…we’ll have to have Daddy measure you before we get your new bed! How much more do you plan on growing?”

“Maybe 10 or 12 inches. Or a gazillion!”

I’m so glad toddlers don’t exaggerate at all.

So about that crib business…yes, our 3 ½-year-old is still in her crib. Why? Well, why not? She’s never offered to climb out, she seems to like it, and it’s just never come up. I have to tell you…it’s kind of nice having a contained cage I mean PLACE for her sometimes. There’s never any nighttime wandering or playing or waking me up, so that’s a plus.

I thought it might get tricky after she potty-trained, but it didn’t. She never has to go in the middle of the night. There’s been maybe two times where she’s woken up really having to go in the morning, and she just hollers for me. I come and get her, and that’s it.

With Brother coming in a couple of months, however, we’re finally addressing it. He’ll eventually need a crib, and she seems really excited at the prospect of a real bed. Most of the time. She has mentioned once or twice that she likes her cozy crib and will just keep it…Brother can sleep with her.

Well okay then. I’m sure that won’t be a mess at all.

So, a real bed is on the horizon, which means S.A.T.s and a learner’s permit and probably prescription drugs for me.

During this photo shoot was the first time she stood, completely unassisted, holding on to nothing, for an extended period of time. It was about a week or so before her actual birthday. A week after her birthday, she started the walking.

Now, she just runs circles through the house: “Watch me, Mama! Watch how fast I am!”

Let me tell you…there is nothing funnier than a little person putting everything they have into pumping those little arms while running in sparkly red shoes.

And then falling and shouting, “I had a tumble! I’m okay!!”

This never gets old.

Unlike her.

Who can I complain to about this?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/20/2014

    This makes me sad until I think about how much fun she is to talk to these days!! There's some good stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete