03 March 2014

Fa La La La La, La La La Late!

So. Christmas.

‘Tis the season!

Ha.

Christmas 2013 was lovely, and our last as a family of three. Katie and I spent a whole Saturday decorating our house the weekend before Thanksgiving. Daddy was at the fire station, so it seemed like a good project for us. I couldn’t believe how helpful she actually was.

Here she is, at the end of the day, working on a Santa list. The house was neat as a pin, the decorations were up, the day was pretty, and we were ready.

And then winter lasted 600 years, I baked too much dessert, and we ate all of it. Every crumb. Every single cookie.

The tea cakes on the stove. These were an absolute success story. Last time I made them, they looked like they were covered in cellulite. This time, smooth as silk! Most likely because Katie helped. She magic, you know.

The chocolate chips in the microwave.

ALL OF THEM.

I did make some to share with different folks for the holidays, but let’s be real here: we are selfish cookie hoarders.

Way back in November, we had no idea how much winter weather still lay ahead of us. This morning, it was in the low 40’s. Tomorrow? High in the mid 70’s. I mean…really? All that baking kept me and the girl busy when we couldn’t go outside.

I might have to revert back to baking things if we go back to more cold weather. Many a weekend, we pulled out the mixer to make cookies or muffins when we couldn’t go outside. ‘Cause if you can’t get some sunshine and physical activity, the next best thing is making something to eat, right?

Right.

1 comment: